Have you ever watched a SciFi show where the actor can stop time in order to do something while everyone else is frozen in the moment? How many of you have wanted just a few more hours in your day to get things done?!? Our hope in presenting some of the tools people use in their daily lives to keep it all together and get things done is to...
Take some time to explore some or all of the tools below. Select an entire category of tools to explore or a specific application within each category. Localize your learning by applying to a specific project in your work or personal life.
Conceptualize project plans and share your ideas visually.
Perfect for those who like to keep to-do list and receive periodic reminders.
Great for collaborating synchronously on a document, project, and more!
Pull together and mash-up content from many resources. Have all your favorite sources where you frequently live on the Web.
Share your documents with others; no worries on having the same applications.
Leave notes for yourself all over the Web.
- Which applications did you select to test drive and why?
- Did you discover other applications not on the list? If yes, please explain what you found and how you envisioned applying them.
- Share the tools you use in your daily life to help you get things done.
19. Explore any site from the 15 Best Web 2.0 collections, play with it and write a blog post about your findings.
Web 2.0 tools have flourished over the past few years, becoming one of the most talked about advancements and benefits of the Internet. Because of the increasing number of these tools, more and more "Best of..." sites are being created, with users' opinions of what sites are the most helpful for the purposes of organization, blogging, travel, etc. Specific to Web 2.0 tools, a May 2010 TripWire Magazine article lists 15 of the "Best Sites to Find Useful Online Web 2.0 Applications" Among the sites included are:
While you may choose to visit one of these sites, or one of the 12 other sites listed in the article, you will find an online library of Web 2.0 resources, rated by users themselves!
- Stay abreast of Web technologies as they continue to evolve.
- Opportunity to review a list of top pick Web 2.0 tools and select the ones that would be relevant to your users.
Not only is it fun to explore these new ways of connecting our clients to their information and expertise needs, special librarians are in a position to take a leading role in this area!
- Go to the TripWire Magazine article and review the "Best of" list. Or, simply click on one of the direct links above.
- Visit a site that's appealing to you and spend some time surfing around in it.
- Which collection/Best of site did you find most helpful?
- Did you find some useful sites and learn more about its features and tools? Share your thoughts on your blog about the site, who would find it valuable and why.
As time allows, look through the other collections of sites. Remember that Web 2.0 tools are not just for storing information online or creating spreadsheets; there are some for real estate, travel, cooking, and practically every other topic you (or your client) are interested in!