- Hands-on training in class: We'll start going over some essentials for getting started with our Confluence wiki, organization content for class, and then review functionality of Google reader.
- Purchase Logitech USB-based headset ($39.99) and make sure to bring to Week 2's class.
- Print out and set up accounts (Google Docs) or click on WORD attachment. As you set up each account, review basic overview of tool.
- Add your photo to our Students' Portfolios page. Review Wikis 101 for an overview of Confluence and wikis in general.
- Sign up to co-lead a 30-minute discussion based on articles you've discovered through your RSS reader related to a selected week's topic. Sign up to co-lead a weekly discussion.
- Recommended (optional): Sign up for an upcoming TechAtlas Webinar on Technology Planning on January 29, 2009 from 1:00-2:00 PM. Summary: A free, 60 minute webinar where you will discover a free software designed just for libraries that offers an easy, step-by-step process for creating a technology plan from mission and vision to goals and objectives along with budget development.
- Breeding, Marshall (April 2008). "Automation System Marketplace 2008: Opportunity Out of Turmoil," LibraryJournal.com. URL: http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6542440.html (accessed 4/3/2008).
- Dare to Share: Read summary and comprehensive text (PDF) on the following topics:
- Brainstorming. URL: http://www.daretoshare.ch/en/Dare_To_Share/Knowledge_Management_Toolkit/Brainstorming (accessed 1/2/2009).
- Group Facilitator. URL: http://www.daretoshare.ch/en/Dare_To_Share/Knowledge_Management_Toolkit/Group_Facilitation (accessed 1/2/2009)
- Driver, Erica (January 2007). Wikis Change the Meaning of "Groupthink." Cambridge, MA: Forrester. (See restricted readings area.)
- Eisenberg, Mike (May 2008). "The Parallel Information Universe: What's Out There and What It Means for Libraries," LibraryJournal.com. URL: http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6551184.html (accessed 1/4/2009).
- OCLC's Sharing, Privacy and Trust in Our Networked World. A 2007 report to OCLC membership. URL: http://www.oclc.org/reports/sharing/default.htm (accessed 1/1/2009). Please review the following sections (PDF): Our Digital Lives and Privacy, Security, and Trust.