Participation in Chapter activities is a most gratifying aspect of membership in SLA. These Recommended Practices are intended to serve as a reference for Chapter Officers and other Chapter leaders in the development of Practices for their particular unit. Each Chapter is encouraged to customize its own Practices based on the model presented here. They contain valuable, "must-know" information on Chapter responsibilities, Association structure, policies and procedures. The Practices delineate the responsibilities of key Chapter leaders and should aid in the understanding of the relationships among Chapter leaders, Association officers, and units.
Each Chapter should maintain approved Practices that define in detail the responsibilities and duties of the individual Chapter officers, appointed positions and committee chairs, as appropriate for the Chapter.
Suggested additional content of a Chapter Practices Manual:
- History and background of Chapter, including a list of past Chapter leaders.
- The addition or deletion of descriptions of committees chair and appointed positions, and their respective duties, as currently in practice.
- Detailed descriptions of existing Chapter programs (such as specific Awards, traditions, and annual meetings, etc.).
- Approved Chapter Policies (such as an Officer Travel Policy).
- Calendar of deadlines (such as leadership reports, elections, meeting notifications).
- Copy of Chapter Governing Document.
A former Chapter President is often chosen to undertake the preparation and/or updating of the Chapter Practices Manual. Each Chapter leader should have a copy of the Chapter Practices Manual available. It is important that outgoing Chapter leaders pass their copies of the manual to the incoming leaders as soon as election results are known.
Detailed handbooks containing additional information and suggestions for fulfilling the responsibilities of key Chapter leaders are also available. References to the handbooks are made throughout the Recommended Practices where additional information may be desired. Please note, handbooks have not been written for all Chapter leaders. Handbooks can be found at: http://www.sla.org/content/resources/leadcenter/leadtrain/chpdivgd/handbook.cfm
A copy of the Chapter's most current Practices Manual must be sent to the Leadership Department at the Association Office. Suggestions for additions and revisions to these Recommended Practices should be forwarded to the Association Leadership Department at [email@example.com].