Environment and Resource Management Division
Special Libraries Association (SLA)
Strategic Plan 2009 - 2012
Scope Note (approved by membership, June 15, 2009):
The Environment and Resource Management Division encompasses all aspects of the environmental and resource sciences including forestry, mining, toxicology, pollution management, environmental impact science, public, occupational, and environmental health, water resources, environmental law and policy, and more. The Division promotes the exchange of information and ideas about trends and advances in information storage, retrieval, analysis and dissemination, collection services and management in these fields to support research, education, public service, and commercial endeavors.
Direction 1: Increase member participation in Division activities.
1. Provide opportunities at the annual meeting for members to learn about the Division activities and to meet fellow members.
- Suggested action: Chair Elect organizes a social event at SLA's annual meeting for members to interact in a casual environment
2. Offer networking opportunities at the annual meeting and throughout the year.
- Suggested action: Use Facebook, LinkedIn, and other social web tools to encourage virtual networking
- Suggested action: Encourage members who live/work near each other to get together for social or professional development events
3. Ensure timely and effective communication among Division officers, committee chairs and members to stimulate interest, involvement and a sense of ownership.
- Suggested action: Chair should check in with officers periodically
- Suggested action: Chair should organize phone meetings during the year, as appropriate
4. Encourage and proactively solicit volunteers for Division activities.
Direction 2: Strengthen the Division's connections with members through continuing membership retention efforts.
1. Timely contact of new members to welcome them.
- Suggested action: Someone from Board such as the Membership Chair should send new members a welcome note (via email, perhaps)
- Suggested action: New Division members should be added to the members-only email list
2. Support special interest groups that fit within the Division's scope. This may include connecting with environmental information groups and professionals internationally.
3. Use surveys and other communication tools to identify members' needs and interests.
- Suggested action: Membership should be polled on the type of programming they would like to see at annual meeting. This would include not only topics, but speakers and formats
- Suggested action: A wiki or web space should be set up to encourage and facilitate member input in this area
Direction 3: Support the professional development of Division members.
1. Provide annual meeting programming and continuing education courses in the subject specialties described in the Division Scope Notes using knowledgeable experts as course leaders and conference session speakers.
2. Use the Web and other delivery mechanisms for materials and training to disseminate information to our members for their professional development needs.
- Suggested action: Chair sends out calls to membership asking if anyone would organize an online program
Direction 4: Explore new and emerging technologies to support communication opportunities among members.
1. Expand the use of web technologies in the Division's coverage of substantive topics and resources.
- Suggested action: Develop a wiki and/or blog for interactive information exchange. Another alternative is to create a Community of Practice on the SLA web site, http://cop.sla.org/COP
Direction 5: Market the ERM Divison
1. Capitalize on Centennial Campaign activities to define the Division - its past, present, and future.
- Suggested action: Scan old Division newsletters and other materials and post to ERMD web site
2. Use the results of the Realignment Initiative to develop new graphics and language in order to strengthen the ERMD brand.
3. Actively promote ERMD at Division-sponsored annual conference events in order to bring knowledge of ERMD to potential new members
- Suggested action: Create bookmark, postcard, or other promotional item to hand out at Division-sponsored annual meeting programs