Selection and Qualifications:
- The Chapter President appoints one or more members to serve as Editor of Chapter Notes. The Executive Board authorizes the appointment of Editor for Chapter Notes by voting its approval at one of its regularly scheduled board meetings.
- Partial qualifications for the position of editor include editorial ability, imagination, and some facility or provision for meeting the requirements of clerical and technical preparation mandated by the editorial position. An ability and willingness to meet deadlines is essential to maintaining a publishing schedule.
- The Editor must be accessible to members and must regularly attend meetings of the Executive Board and Advisory Council and the Chapter at large. The Editor may request the appointment of one or more assistant text editors and an advertising or business editor.
Term: The Chapter Editor is appointed to a term of one year. Annual reappointments are permitted when the incumbent is willing to continue.
Chapter Notes, the official newsletter, and Chapter Calendar, the events calendar, are the principal instruments of communication for DC/SLA. Chapter Notes is published by the D.C. Chapter for the communication of substantive articles on topics of interest to professional librarians in the Washington, D.C. area.
Chapter Notes is a membership benefit of the D.C. Chapter. It is provided free of charge to Chapter members, to Chapter Notes advertisers, and to other recipients as required by directives of SLA, or as instructed by the Executive Board of the D.C. Chapter. Chapter Notes is available to any other interested parties on a subscription basis, its rate fixed annually by action of the Executive Board.
The newsletter Editor will establish a publication schedule and submit it to the executive board for approval (see Chapter Notes and Chapter Notes Production Calendar).
The Chapter Notes Editor should be present at any meeting of the Chapter Executive Board and Advisory Council in which the Chapter Notes will be discussed, or in which the Chapter Notes Editor has requested a place on the agenda.
The completed files, working papers and correspondence of any specific year shall be transferred to the Chapter Archivist for review, selection and storage.
The Editor submits an annual report to the Chapter President on or before November 5 each year, and provide copies of the report to the Chapter Secretary and the SLA Chapter Liaison Officer for use in the annual survey of Chapter bulletins. The report must include:
- the names of all newsletter editors;
- the number of issues published annually;
- the number of copies of each issue produced;
- accomplishments, innovations, and problems encountered during the preceding year;
- recommendations for future issues, policies and procedures.
The Editor submits a budget projection covering the publication of Chapter Notes throughout the next twelve months to the Chapter Treasurer by a date established by the Treasurer, but in advance of the January meeting of the Executive Board.
Requests for reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenditures may be submitted to the Treasurer, and should be accompanied by receipts if available and brief statements concerning the nature of the expenditures. Unplanned expenses over $100 needs to be approved by the Treasurer and the President's approval.
The publication of Chapter Notes is a minimal chapter expense. The Editor must be aware of this cost and of the fiscal responsibility required by the position of editor. Frequent consultation with the Chapter President and Treasurer throughout the publication year and submission of a projected budget to the Treasurer well in advance of the preparation of the Chapter's annual budget are requirements of the editor's position.