Selection and Qualifications of Chair:
- Is nominated by the Chapter President subject to the advice and consent of the Executive Board which also confirms the appointment.
- Must be a member of the Chapter.
Term: The appointment is for two years, however with the approval of the Executive Board the appointment may be renewed and continued indefinitely. Appointment is effective upon approval of the Executive Board.
Committee: Archives Committee
The Chapter Archivist is responsible for the collection, selection, and maintenance of a permanent file of non-current chapter records in accordance with the policies and procedures established by the Chapter Executive Board and contained in the Chapter's archives policy.
- Maintain the records of the Chapter in accordance with the content, organization, and retention guidelines set forth in the Association's Guidelines for Chapter Archives.
- The Chapter Archivist must make certain that the records of each administration are received. Archive materials should also include:
- Chapter Governing Document
- Chapter History
- Board Meetings Minutes
- Committee Reports
- At least one copy of every publication issued by the Chapter, including a complete set of Chapter Notes.
- The Archivist will maintain a "Chapter Archives" web page on the Chapter web site that will provide information on the Chapter Archives holdings, information on indexes and finding aides, as well as assist the Web Committee in providing historical data to be used on the Chapter's web site.
- Access to or research through the Chapter Archives may be requested of the Chapter Archivist by the members of the Executive Board. Access to recent or outdated archival files may be requested by Committee chair, or SLA members.
- The Chapter Archivist will maintain archival materials until they can be transferred to the Washingtoniana division of the D.C. Public Library for permanent preservation. Public access to the Chapter's archives is provided through the Washingtoniana division of the D.C. public library (Martin Luther King Memorial Library).
The Chapter Archivist should be present at any meeting of the Chapter Executive Board and Advisory Council in which the Chapter Archives will be discussed, or in which the Archivist has requested a place on the agenda.
- Archives Policy
- Archives Listing
- Chapter and Division Archivists Forum
- SLA Guidelines for Chapter Archives
- Contact information for Washingtoniana division.
- Finding Aides and Indexes
- Chapter Board Members from 1998 - current including advisory council and a list of each year's Executive Committee.
- Chapter Presidents from 1940 - current.
The Chapter Archivist submits a written annual report to the Chapter President not later than November 5 5 of each year. This report is incorporated into the President's report that is submitted to SLA Headquarters, with highlights appearing in the December Chapter Notes.
Requests for reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenditures may be submitted to the Treasurer, and should be accompanied by receipts if available and brief statements concerning the nature of the expenditures. Unplanned expenses over $100 needs to be approved by the Treasurer and the President's approval.