Election: One of two Directors, designated Fundraising Director and Membership Director, is elected annually by a simple majority of the mail votes cast by the Chapter membership. (See Chapter Bylaws Article III, Section 5; and Article X).
Qualifications: Directors are generally persons who are familiar with the Association and the Chapter, who have had prior service as Group, Chapter or Division Officers, committee Chairs, or made some outstanding contribution to the Chapter or Association.
Term: Directors are elected to a two year term. The year of election alternates between the two Directors so that only one director is elected annually. The office of Director is assumed upon adjournment of the Association's annual business meeting.
The Fundraising Director initiates and coordinates all fundraising effort of the Chapter. The Fundraising Director created templates for correspondence: invitations to sponsor a Chapter activity or event, thank you notes and instructions to sponsors. Works with Webmaster to post to Chapter Web page/Wiki and Editor Chapter Notes.
- Obtains funds to support Chapter activities of the current year, including Chapter activities at SLA Annual Conference if Chapter sponsors programming/events. Works closely with the Treasurer, First Vice President/President-Elect and program planning committee to assure adequate funds are available to support Chapter activities.
- Contacts vendors in the DC area, referrals from DC members. Sends fund request letter by late September, if possible.
- Gets commitments by late October, if possible, so that sponsorship information appears in DC publications and on the Web site.
- Sends checks to the Treasurer, so that he/she can track actual payments and have the Corresponding Secretary send thank you letters upon receipt of funds. Checks must be made out to "DC/SLA" not to individual.
- Maintains a fundraising notebook, with sample request letters, historical summaries of funding, a list of potential vendors and tips for success.
- Reviews Procedures Manual on a timely basis and sends recommended changes to Second Vice President and Secretary.
- Transfer materials to the succeeding Director.
- Chapter Sponsors website.
- Lessons learned from Fundraising Director.
- History/files on vendors contacted and results of contacts.
- Recommendations for vendors to contact.
- Submits a written annual report to the Chapter President not later than November 5 of each year. This report is incorporated into the President's report that is submitted to SLA Headquarters, with highlights appearing in the December Chapter Notes.
- Completed files, working papers, and correspondence of any specific year shall be transferred to the Chapter Archivist for review, selection and storage.
Requests for reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenditures may be submitted to the Treasurer and should be accompanied by receipts if available and brief statements concerning the nature of the expenditures. Expenditures in excess of $100.00 require approval from the Executive Board. Typical expenses of this office include incidental expenses resulting from special assignments or the organization of specific Ad Hoc committees. Reported to Treasurer as costs arise.
Requests for funding of any projects or programs in progress will be provided to the Chapter Treasurer by a date established by the Treasurer, but in advance of the January Executive Board meeting.