Position: Semantic Database Curator/Tester
Organization: Needle Group, ITA Software
Location: Boston, MA
The Needle group at ITA Software is hiring! Library/information scientists are great in this role: many of the incumbents have had LIS backgrounds.
Needle: Semantic Database Curator/Tester
Needle (www.needlebase.com) is a new database platform that allows anyone with a web browser to collect structured data from websites, feeds and spreadsheets, and merge it into a consistent online database. The Needle team has multiple openings for a data curator and pre-release software tester, who will juggle the following roles:
- Conceive of, build, publish and promote a variety of attention-getting demo databases using Needle. (See pub.needlebase.com for examples.)
- Maintain existing databases, some of which require manual weekly updating and cleaning
- Write scripts (in languages like Perl or Python) that exercise Needle's API to automate repetitive data-cleaning tasks
- Provide support to customers and prospects who are building their own databases with Needle
- Test pre-release versions of the software, and file detailed bug reports and feature suggestions to help improve it
- Perform other duties as required
- A passion for organizing information
- Clear communication style for interacting with both the tech gurus on our team and customers out in the world
- Solid understanding of web technologies (HTML, cookies, forms, Unicode)
- Experience with at least one programming or scripting language
- Experience building complex spreadsheets a plus
- Experience with relational, object-oriented, or semantic databases a plus
- Background in quality assurance, software testing, computer science or library science a plus
Special Application Instructions:
Please explore our website, www.needlebase.com, to gain an understanding of what Needle is all about. Then, along with your resume, please include a cover letter in which you propose a database that you'd like to build with Needle, and explain why.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please fill out an application/resume form: http://www.candidatemanager.net/cm/Apply.aspx?&mid=YUYY&sid=BDBAZ&jid=FWAZBWF&a=uPO2LW%2bqZ3Y%3d&b=MmM9o6N6K3E%3d. An ITA Software recruiter will review your qualifications and contact you if there is a fit with our needs.